Based on Alison Bechdel’s best-selling graphic memoir. Directed and choreographed by Holly Wenning
Musical Director - Cy Giacomin
Producers - Charmaine Jacklin & Carol Kennedy
Stage Manager - Lynda Agocs
Scripts available at box office with $20 returnable deposit. Sheet music available at Box office to pick up.
Note: This is our festival entry so there is always a chance of making it to festival which would mean you must be available for one more performance during March break. If we make it beyond that then one more performance in May.
Friday, September 6, 5:00pm-6:30pm for Children’s roles, all other roles 6:30pm-9:00pm
Saturday September 7, 5:00pm-6:30pm for Children’s roles, all other roles 6:30pm-9:00pm
Possible call backs Sunday September 8, 6:00 pm-8:00 pm
Please arrive at the audition venue at Imperial Theatre (upstairs Studio A) approximately fifteen minutes earlier, to fill out applications. Bring your schedules for any dates you won’t be available. You cannot be in Fun Home if you accept a role in Christmas Carol.
IF YOU HAVE ACCEPTED A ROLE IN OR ARE PART OF THE CREW FOR THEATRE SARNIA'S 'A CHRISTMAS CAROL', YOU WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR A ROLE IN 'FUN HOME'.
AUDITION PREPARATIONS & INFORMATION
Candidates are asked to prepare one song from Fun Home, and may choose a second song (optional) from Fun Home or any musical..
****Please come with a short 1-2 minute monologue of your choice (does NOT need to be memorized) so you have an opportunity to show us your acting skills.
Candidates will have an opportunity to take part in cold readings from the script.
There will be an easy choreography portion to the audition. Come prepared to do light dance.
AVAILABLE ROLES / CHARACTER INFO
(For audition preparations, there is a list at the bottom of qualified musical teachers with the music that can help you prepare your music.)
• Older Alison - Looks 39-49 years old; a cartoonist; Range: E3-D5, Song: “Telephone Wire”.
• Medium Alison - Looks 19 years old; a college freshman; Range: G3-E5 (light belt up to C#5), Song: I’m Changing My Major”. Will be sharing a passionate onstage kiss with JOAN.
• Small Alison - Looks around 8–12 years old; Range:B3-B4 Song: “Ring of Keys”. Strong acting skills.
• Bruce Bechdel - Alison’s father; (Looks 39-49) Range: B2 to G4; Song: “Edges of the World”.
• Helen Bechdel - Alison’s mother; (Looks 39-49) Range: G#3E to E5; Song: “Days and Days”.
• Christian Bechdel - Alison’s Older brother - Looks around 10-12 years old; Song: “Come to the Fun Home, Range: D4-D5, EXCERPT page 36-38 (Christian’s lyrics from “Our caskets are satin-lined” until “Tell ‘em what we got, Tito”)
• John Bechdel - Alison’s Younger brother - Looks around 6-10 years old; Song: “Come to the Fun Home- D4-D5, EXCERPT page 36-38 (Christian’s lyrics from “Our caskets are satin-lined” until “Tell ‘em what we got, Tito”)
• Joan - Looks 18-20 a college student; Range: Alto. Will be sharing an onstage kiss with MED ALISON. Audition song is “Raincoat of Love”.
• Roy, Mark and Pete are all played by the same actor ( we are open to age range) ; Range: Tenor; Song: “Raincoat of Love”. (*Roy - a young man Bruce hires to do yard work. *Mark - a high school junior. *Pete - a mourner.)
Please do not worry about posted ages; we are open to looking at everyone!
January 29, 30, 31 and February 1, 2020
REHEARSAL DATES & TIMES
Monday evening, Wednesday evening and Sunday evening beginning October 6th- mid November. Sunday rehearsal will change to afternoons for 2 weeks in November and all of December. Sunday rehearsals in January return to evenings. Rehearsal schedule will NOT require everyone 3x per week. We will be very careful not to schedule children more than 2x per week until close to the show.
FUN HOME is based on Alison Bechdel’s best-selling graphic memoir. This groundbreaking production introduces us to Alison at three different ages, revealing memories of her uniquely dysfunctional family that connect with her in surprising new ways. The story concerns Bechdel’s discovery of her own sexuality, her relationship with her gay father, and her attempts to unlock the mysteries surrounding his life. It is the first Broadway musical with a lesbian protagonist.
FOR MORE INFORMATION Call
Holly Wenning -Director
Producer, Charmaine Jacklin
Cy Giacomin, Musical Director
September 06, 2019 - 5:00 p.m.
September 07, 2019 - 5:00 p.m.
September 08, 2019 - 6:00 p.m.
168 Christina Street North,
PO Box 43, Sarnia, Ontario
N7T 7H8, Canada
There are approximately 100 spaces on Christina Street and the adjacent streets, all within 5 minute walk of the Imperial Theatre. There is a 2 hr free on street parking limit Monday to Friday until 6 pm. Parking on street is free all day on Saturday and Sunday and after 6 pm every evening. Parking rates vary during the day Monday to Friday until 6 pm. After 6 pm parking is free, as well as all day on Saturday and Sunday.